Monday, December 16

Oh weekend...

I started out this weekend with the best intentions. Around noon on Friday I had a phone call from my bike shop informing me that my bike was finally in. My bikes ship date had been pushed back so I figured that I would hopefully have it in my hands sometime after Christmas. I was ecstatic that it was in early! On my way home from work I stopped and picked up my cycling shoes, because I had to ride my bike...even if only on a trainer for a little bit this weekend. Plus I could borrow Erik's old pedals for now until my came in so at least I could get a rough fit on my bike. I'll revisit the bike store in a month or two for a more professional fit anyways.

After I picked up my stuff I continued the drive to Erik's like I do every other weekend in the month. We trade off weekends and it was my turn to make the drive down. About 30 miles out I drove through a small town and headed on my way. As I approached a corner I noticed a oncoming car so we both turned our high beams off and I saw a deer run out in front of me. I dropped my speed from about 50 to 30 and avoided the deer and then BAM! a second deer runs into the front/side of my car. Somehow I managed to stay in my lane and didn't swerve into oncoming traffic or head down the ditch on the shoulder of the road. It was definitely one of those slow motion moments where I locked eyes with the deer as it smacked into my car. It's head whipped back and it was gone. Everyone suspects it most likely died from it's injuries.
And in you look real close at the image in the lower right hand side you will see some deer tail. Surprisingly and thankfully my headlight still works, even after being smashed in which is good since I drove to work today in the dark for the first half a hour or so. My passenger door doesn't open, which is the biggest pain since I only have two doors. For errands with Erik (he has a truck which doesn't have room for Christmas gifts inside the cab...so taking my car was a must...especially in a snow storm) I was the lucky one who got to crawl in and out of the car at every stop. When I called my insurance company Friday night the guy at the other end luckily was pretty friendly. I was explaining what happened and of course I started to cry. I'm sure I'm not the only one who cries on the phone, but I couldn't help it. I'm going for a estimate in a few hours so let's hope my car doesn't get totaled...apparently it happens more often than you think.

Besides Christmas shopping for Erik's siblings I had one idea for what I wanted to do on Saturday and that was to pick up my bike. Sadly, I think I was still pretty bummed (let's not lie, I am still really bummed about my car) when I picked up my bike. But it's a pretty freaken sweet bike. Of course now there is like 1 1/2 feet of snow outside so biking is totally not going to happen any time soon. I'm finally starting to get excited about it, but I think the full excitement will happen when I get it out on the road. Currently, without pedals, this thing weighs 15.3 pounds which is insanely light! I'm ready to start flying up some hills!

Displaying image.jpeg
That picture doesn't really do it justice...but oh well...it's better than no picture. I guess it's time to get my butt in gear and start training again...well...maybe after the holidays.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I absolutely love comments! You know you wanna leave one...