Saturday, July 31

Weekend Post

I promised a weekend post so I hope it's all you've dreamed of and of course much much more.

Last Sunday was my grandfathers wake. For some reason on Sunday I felt at peace with everything going on. I didn't expect to feel so at ease at the funeral home. Maybe it is because in the most serious situations I am always the one who deals with it by smiling or laughing. I can't help that I am a nervous laugher. I hope that no one got the wrong impression that I was not sad or upset but I was genuinely alright with everything happening. The more I thought about things after my grandfather passed I reassured myself that he knew the possible outcomes when he signed his name on the line agreeing to the initial surgery. While this was never the desired outcome, life followed its set course and this was the ending that was written for his story.

My dads mother died when he was 13. My dads father died when I was 3. I will be forever grateful for the almost 22 amazing years I spent with the only grandfather I've known. The memories will live on forever in my heart and in the smiling faces plastered across faces in years and years of photographs.

Last Tuesday I had my 6 month check up with my neurologist. He of course was amazed at how far I have come and how healthy and happy I am. If you would have told me a two years ago when I was diagnosed that in  a few years I would be able to accept all the cards I have been dealt I would have laughed and walked the other way. During my appointment I was a proactive patient asking all my questions and being very aware of everything that was being discussed. I asked to see my old MRIs so that I could compare them to my latest set. I asked about my labs and blood work and my options for the future. I have heard that at the two year point many doctors have been pulling patients off Tysabri and while my doctor admitted that for some of his less active MS patients he was doing the same he was very honest in his op onion of my particular case of MS. Since I had such a active case of MS he and I agreed that the risks of staying on Tysabri were worth it. I have more of a fear of the outcome of  being pulled off Tysabri because the overall conclusion is that I would not make it more than a few months before being hit hard with new lesions. Luckily for me I have been cleared for the next 6 months of Tysabri and that is very exciting news.

The day of my appointment I had the day off from work and was able to hit up three music stores out in Rochester. It is very evident that I have a music addiction. I am addicted to cds and luckily Rochester has three amazing stores that have a abundance of new and used cds. I have been buying used cd's for a long time now and aside from saving money and getting more for my buck I will admit that I like giving used cd's a home. I know - I am strange.

I met up with Steph and one of the Hannahs for dinner that night as well. Steph surprised me with my birthday present which was this gigantic basket fill with yoga stuff. I have been on a yoga kick for a while now and it just has this amazing affect of calming my nerves with the added benefit of strength, flexibility and better coordination. In addition to my latest yoga phase I started the whole eating healthy kick in January. I cut out a large portion of the junk I had been eating. I gave up soda for good along with overly processed foods. I am what people call a flexitarian. Once in a while I eat meat, sometimes I just can't help it. I eat so many more vegetables and fruits. I choose organic with some produce and foods. I thought I would hate having to be so  aware of what I ate but I find that I enjoy it so much more when I know the food I am putting in my body is actually good for me. The added benefits of feeling better and being able to finally drop the steroid weight that I had been convinced was permanently glued to my thighs, butt and stomach, has continued to motivate me to stick with this new lifestyle. So not only do I fit into my old jeans, I feel better, and I am conscious and aware of where my food comes from and I choose to eat and support farmers which makes me feel like a much better consumer.

Lastly did I mention I have a job? It's temporary for now. I work from 10am to 6pm. My hours are perfect for me, I get to sleep till 8 and go to work awake and alert. I guess I am doing a good job because when I started I was only going to be there for two weeks. Next week will be my third week. I was upgraded to my own office so someone must like me work ethics enough to keep me around a third week. Sure it is not my dream job but it utilizes my skills nicely and I confident in the products I am producing. Basically I am taking information from the research department and putting it into PowerPoint presentations that are given to the clients for their use. I will just proclaim myself the unofficial PowerPoint princess.

I think that was my update for now. My fingers are getting a bit too warm from my laptop and typing so I think it is a wise time to call it a night. I hope everyone is having a healthy, happy and enjoyable summer. I promise I will try to do better with updating my blog.

P.S... OK, so I know that weird comments come with the whole letting anyone comment on my blog, but lately my comments have been flooded with unidentified languages and just odd things. I got a few comments that were exactly the same so I hope I am not the only one getting the weirdness, because I personally prefer to share the weirdness equally.  For example, I received this comment on a couple of blog posts on the same day:

"Hello there, I am looking for MS patients all over the net. In few weeks something v ery big is coming for MS and Alzheimers disease. I have to let you know that I am not selling anything or a part of prayer group. It is a coincidence that I was informed about this. So please if you know anyone including yourself is suffering from these illnesses, help me spread the good news. All you have to do is follow me @ http://twitter.com/MS_Buddie
Or send messages through here.
I know this not very detailed information, but I am only allowed to say this much about the news.

I sincerely promise you I am no salesman, or trying to give empty hopes here.
I am simply messenger of good news, and best part about this for me that it is Blessing news.
This is nothing to be ignored, it will change lives. You got nothing to lose by following me.
Good luck, and contact me if you have any questions."

A part of me just wants to follow him/her and then just plague there twitter with comments, but the 22 year old, adult, working member or society says that is not the mature thing to do. I can't lie, I am very curious what the heck they are talking about. Personally I hope it is something to the effect that every MS patient gets a free pony, because I've always wanted a pony or at least that's what everyone wanted at some point in their life. Don't laugh, I know you've thought about having a pony too...

1 comment:

  1. Sorry for your loss but glad to hear you are at peace with it. Hope your job lasts a few months or longer! I'm sure getting a paycheck is nice.
    -Jodi
    jodibeansblog.blogspot.com
    P.S. I haven't gotten any of those weird comments.

    ReplyDelete

I absolutely love comments! You know you wanna leave one...