Thursday, September 10

This morning I signed up for my first MS event. Not going to lie, its the first one that I even bothered reading the email after I saw the heading, MS for the Newly Diagnosed.

I have been realizing that while I know what MS is, I don't honestly understand it enough to answer my friends questions enough, or really explain it to myself sometimes.The program topics include: "what happens in the body; understanding symptoms vs. exacerbations vs. pseudo-exacerbations; treatment options; myths and misconceptions; "but you look so good" - the invisible symptoms; and injection management."

When I was first diagnosed I had no idea what MS was, just that I was pretty certain that Montel Williams had it. My doctor told me right away not to go online and search about it and I didn't. I went back to school and avoided it. The few times I went online and searched I was always freaked out at the possible outcomes of this disease. I have witnessed what it has done to my own body, have read about what it has done to others through blogs and after reading all this through first hand accounts I think its time to start learning the ins and outs of this disease.

Maybe I'll be able to answer my friends questions better too, I feel like a bad represenation of MS sometimes when I can't even explain whats going on in my body or even whats going on with people with MS in general.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Stephanie,

    I found your blog through Twitter (via Lisa Emerich's Carnival of MS Bloggers) and wanted to stop by and say hello.

    I think it sucks that you have to deal with MS at such a young age! Apparently young'uns are being diagnosed like crazy, so you do have company there at least. If you haven't found them yet, check out Dana and Jackie at TheMSBlog.com.

    Take care, hun. I'll be back and if I can ever be of help, please don't hesitate to reach out!

    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you! We are attending our first MS event this weekend too...my hubby is doing a 55km bike ride to support MS...we'll see how he does ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's awesome. I think the more you know the better. I could totally use a program like that!

    ReplyDelete

I absolutely love comments! You know you wanna leave one...